With a time machine in the trunk of a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette and predictions of nuclear fallout and civil war within the united states; John Titor appeared on an internet message board in the year 2000 and quickly got peoples attention. John claimed to have travelled back from the year 2036 in order to retrieve an old IBM which was needed to fix legacy computer programs in the future. When questioned about why he stopped in the year 2000 when his target was 1985 John said that worldline divergence begin to increased significantly for jumps greater than 60 years or. Titor claimed to have taken the opportunity this gave to stop in the year 2000 for “personal reasons.”
There are quite a few websites dedicated to John Titor, he spent a lot of time on line conversing and answering almost every question asked of him, while only a few of his predictions have come to pass many believe that a lot of the time John was speaking in code and dropping hints. John himself explained that predictions would not pan out exactly because he was from a very similar but different timeline.
Some of the things that John is thought to have alluded to but not said outright are:
- The events of September 11th, in many of his posts John offers warnings that are quite vague and some have come to believe that they refer to September 11th, as many avid conspiracy theorists know though a prediction of this type can be derived from Nostradamus, the bible and any other source so these predictions could be taken with a grain of salt.
- The Space shuttle discovery accident is mentioned to as “an overheating problem with our space plane”.
- Gulf war – John said on January 29,2001: “there’s nothing like the look on someone’s face when you tell them 100,000 people will be dead tomorrow. Soon after CNN reported the death toll in Iraq was at 100,000. Although not specifically mentioned John had spoken about gulf hostilities in the past and many of his supporters believe this to be a prediction. John tried to avoid outright predictions but at times alluded to them.
- Peru Earthquake: about a month before a magnitude 8.1 earthquake hit Peru John said “I might even decide to tell you about an earthquake in Peru but then people that would have died by chance will now live and vice versa” of course many skeptics would say that Southern Peru is on a fault line and a vague prediction like this is bound to be right once in a while.
John’s comments and predictions are far ranging he talks in vague terms at times and not so vague at others one of the most interesting things he talks about is the makeup of the United States in 2036.
The country has been broken up into 5 distinct regions by a civil war, each region has its own president and the vice president is the president of the senate.
The advances in technology come to pass on the basis of a third world war, although not forthcoming with details John was asked directly: “does the war you speak of have anything to do with the rising tension between arabs and jews” he answered yes.
Many of John’s predictions and statements are vague and his answer as to why is “I have decided not to discuss anything you or I can change”. John claimed that he was from a different worldline and that our 2036 would be 2% different to his, this gives him a lot of breathing room on his predictions.
John made some direct predictions many of which have not come to pass; this may be explained by the many universe theory or of course by the fact that John Titor was most likely a clever prankster albeit an epic one!
- Bye Bye Olympics: John also stated that there would be no official Olympics after 2004: well this one was clearly false as the good folks of Beijing and London can attest!
- Mad Cows: John did make references to CJD disease whether or not this was a prediction from the future or not is seriously debatable though, many people had been warning of the dangers of feeding cows beef based feed for many years.
- Economic Warnings: Jon was quoted as saying that “the year 2008 was a general date by which time everyone will realize the world they thought they were living in was over” some see this as a warning of the economic difficulties the world was plunged into in 2008.
John Titor explained his time machine in good detail and also included scanned images of the operations manual and pictures of the unit itself.
The machine itself is called the C204 Gravity distortion time displacement unit and included the following components:
- Dual microsingularity housing units.
- An electron injection manifold to alter mass and gravity micro singularities
- Xray and cooling Vent system
- Variable Gravity lock and gravity sensors
- Four cesium clocks
- And three computer units
In March 2001 the Titor posts stopped coming, the faithful believe that John retrned to his own time, others that he was close to being discovered as a hoax. John’s predictions are certainly plausible in a lot of ways although dire predictions of an American civil war beginning in 2004-2005 seem to be well off the mark. Some believers would point to electoral fraud in the 2004 presidential election as a starting point for a civil war. The Wall Street and other occupy movements are seen as a continuation of the war. For others this is a stretch, Titor’s predictions are just vague enough to not be deniable and his explanations of advancements in physics are impressive. It is almost impossible to know until 2036 whether Titor was truly a time traveler or one of the best online hoaxes ever perpetrated.
If you would like to read his post a record of them can be found at http://www.johntitor.com/. Also recommended is this somewhat related article on parallel universes http://oddx.com/2012/01/parallel-universes/.